Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Rear 12 mm x 168-173 mm x 1.0 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Compatible with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 12 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 172 mm. We include a tapered 5 mm X-12 spacer for 168 mm axle length fitment. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 12×142 hub does not equal a 142 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.0 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 43 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Compatible with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Rémi Bédard (verified owner) –
Excellent product, the fit was exact and quite of high quality. No more guessing the clamping force using a lever style through axle. I was able to use a torque wrench with the 6 mm hex head.
Stephan (verified owner) –
Stoked on this upgrade! No more bulky thru axle release handle. The Robert Axle is high quality and beautifully made. I’m very pleased with the product quality and customer service of Robert Axle.
Carlo Fanto (verified owner) –
My son lost the rear thru-axle from his 2016 Stumpy while riding around Sea Otter… not sure how that happened (???). But with a race looming the following week, we were worried about getting a replacement in time. The local Specialized dealer would have to special order & couldn’t guarantee delivery in time for the race. Then remembering having ordered a thru-axle from Robert Axle Project for my fatbike a while back, I decided to try my luck. Shipping was excellent – receiving within 3 days! As before, you can tell the thru-axle is a quality product… & I think it’s actually lighter! Thanks Robert Axle Project!!!
Mark (verified owner) –
Solved the issue of my QR rear thru axle on my Lynskey FS-120 loosening up. Still tight after multiple rides.
Rudy Alderweireldt (verified owner) –
Perfect product! Tool to find the right axle is very helpfull.
Michael Guthrie –
Excellent product, Great help making sure I got the correct size for my custom built Waterford.
Dell (verified owner) –
Lighter than my stock Lynskey QR and since I always have a hex in my multi tool, the QR was a bit unnecessary. The axle finder made it simple and was spot on. Excellent inexpensive upgrade.
Allen Fehr (verified owner) –
Ordered this for a 2019 Specialized Creo SL, the fit was perfect, these are tough
bikes to find axles for because of the road boost wheel system. The quality and
tolerances are as good or better than the OEM spec
Paul Howarth (verified owner) –
Perfect fit for my Giant Trance 2
Website super easy to follow to find the right axle.
Eric A Hart (verified owner) –
More secure mount and much cleaner look.
Scott Henderson (verified owner) –
T.R.A.P. makes a quality product, ships quickly, and follows up after the sale, after stripping out my OEM axle it was nice to receive my new one quickly. Running it on my 2021 Yamaha Moro Pro.
Robert Vietze (verified owner) –
Great product , high quality , perfect fit and speedy service. Stripped the head of my thru axle on my Stumpjumper and the RobertAxleProject was there to save the day! Will recommend to one and all!
Brian (verified owner) –
I got tired of checking my rear quick release every time I rode, as it would loosen up over time. The new axle showed up incredibly fast and worked as intended. Thanks!
Chad (verified owner) –
Excellent service, fast delivery and the thru axle fits perfect!
BODSON Thierry –
Fast delivery ans just fit perfectly for my bike.
Basti (verified owner) –
My second one. Very good. Nice. Fit perfectly.
Scott B (verified owner) –
I had never heard of the Robert Axle project (and still don’t know what their name means!) but I took a chance at buying several axles. What I really appreciated is their online Axle Finder tool. I was overwhelmed with the many axle types, specs, etc. and was about to give up my idea of installing a thru axle without a lever until I found Robert Axle. Ordering was easy, shipping was very fast. Product is very well made, light and simple to install. Both axles I bought were an exact fit and high quality. Will definitely pass along this company to friends, and would highly recommend to others.
Tony (verified owner) –
I have a titanium hardtail that would not stop creaking with a ratchet-style quick release. The Lightning axle fixed that problem; I was told by Lynskey that RAP would fix this, so that was not a surprise. To my amazement, the Lightning axle stiffened up the rear triangle: it had felt a bit loose in hard corners but feels much more planted now (pleasant surprise).
Plus, it looks cleaner; it is easily worth the money.
Tag (verified owner) –
High quality, timely delivery, exactly what I needed.