Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Rear 12 mm x 168 mm x 1.5 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Compatible with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 12 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 168 mm. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 12×142 hub does not equal a 142 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.5 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 38 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Compatible with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Reinaldo Santiago (verified owner) –
Perfect and very fast service. Lighter than the factory axles and great looking. I’m a very happy customer.
Chris Hitchcock (verified owner) –
Great quality, great customer service. Have a couple of different axles from Robert Axle, all are great. Would give 10 stars.
Michael Lim (verified owner) –
Excellent customer service. I had ordered the wrong size and they had everything in taken care of in no time. Very well made product as well.
howard moore –
It’s a beautiful thing! The head is the same diameter as the flange on the sliding dropout on my SOMA Wolverine, so it looks amazingly neat and tidy. I got excellent help over the phone in ordering the right size, since it can’t be one of the makes on the axle finder tool because there are two possible pitches. I got another axle three years ago for a different project- I needed to get rid of the quick release on my front axle to allow for a pannier to hang close- and not only did it do that, but it did it with style!
Aaron M Brown –
I recently purchased one of the thru-axle bolts and the ordering process was simple and fast! The selection menu that they have was a great help and made the selection process very easy. I received the bolt very quickly and the fit was exact!!! I would HIGHLY recommend ordering this product from them.
James (verified owner) –
It appears my axel is a little longer then the original one, still works but have a bit of thread sticking out
Bike is a Dogma F12 Pinarello
Rihards G. –
Installed on Merida Silex 300 without any problems.