Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Rear 12 mm x 163 mm x 1.5 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Compatible with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 12 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 163 mm. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 12×142 hub does not equal a 142 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.5 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 37 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Compatible with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Jacob Arias (verified owner) –
After my stock axle broke on my All City Super Pro, I opted for a stronger, lighter axle. Robert Axle came through with solid replacement. I wish this particular model was still available through QBP but nonetheless I’m stoked it arrived shortly after ordering. The Thru-axle finder was a great help to ensure I got the correct size axle.
Mike (verified owner) –
Needed an axle for a custom cross-to-gravel conversion. After getting educated on advances in cycling tech since I last put a new bike together (2007) … flat mount discs? Thru-axles? Electronic cable-less shifting? Who knew! At any rate, this unit met my needs and I hope it serves me well for many seasons to come – I’ve not ridden it yet, but see no reason to worry about durability/longevity since I don’t thrash my bikes and take good care of my equipment.
Allan Nicholson (verified owner) –
Purchased a set to replace my stock 2021 Bianchi Infinito CV thru axel with the integrated lever that had developed an annoying rattle after 8 months. Worked like a charm – bike is whisper quiet again on the bumper downhills. Only point to raise is that I feel the rear one could be 3-4 mm longer.
Pete Freeman (verified owner) –
The Mavic speed release is a pain to pull out so swapping my 700c and 650b wheelsets on my Look 765 was a pain. Problem solved.
Thomas Bartussek (verified owner) –
This is my number one address for Thru Axles! Couldn’t find anywhere else so easy and comprehensive selection. I wanted to replace the overweight original thru axles on my Kona Roadhouse and found the half as heavy axle set at RAPs. Ordered on Sunday (Germany) … I had it on the bike Wednesday! If I had found such axles at a German supplier, they would’nt have been delivered cheaper or faster. A customs invoice from FedEx must be added to the stated price, but it’s manageable: it was under 13 euros.
Mason (verified owner) –
Bought this for a Poseidon Drop X that I did a dropout swap axle conversion on. The axle Poseidon sent was heavy, too long, and had a QR cam type head. I was skeptical of the fit of this as Robert Axle recommended but it fits perfectly! Several ounces lighter than my previous axle and with Hexlock security its unbeatable.
Tom (verified owner) –
I ordered front and rear lightning bolts for my Giant Defy. I easy to order. It did take RAP a week or so to ship them, I had to email them (no contact number) to get them sent. I got them! They hold my wheels right where it’s supposed to be. My wheels have not fallen off yet, so 5⭐️
Eric (verified owner) –
Perfect. When BikesOnline told me that they had cancelled my order for a new thru axle for my Polygon Vander T7 due to supply chain issues, the robertaxelproject came through with a better quality product.
Andrew (verified owner) –
Best quality thru axels I have used + made in USA. Ordering and shipping was very fast and efficient. Happy to see when an order is place it is fulfilled quickly and sent out. Will continue to use Robert Axel Project for my bikes.
DW Griffin (verified owner) –
I needed a thru axle without the lever so that I could remove the rear wheel without removing my rack. This axle fit perfectly.
Michael E (verified owner) –
Bought a new axel to replace a rear axel on a Priority 600X. The origional axel had a QR lever that had to engage a notched cup, but as you turned the QR handle it would hit the bolts for the adjustable drops. So, every rotation of the QR handle it would pop out, not great engineering. With my new Robert Axel Project Axel I no longer have that issue and I saved 50 grams in the process (86 g to 36g).
Brendan C (verified owner) –
Fit my bike perfectly and works flawlessly.
Pairs perfectly with the Hexlox, though please note you need to add a note upon purchasing to have it added.