Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Rear 12mm x 180 mm x 1.75 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Easy to install. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 12 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 180 mm. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 12×148 hub does not equal a 148 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.75 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 45 grams. (Your stock Maxle weighs 78 grams.)
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Jimmy (verified owner) –
Easy installation, reasonable price, clean looks, hassle-free service. Fit guide made it simple to find the right 12x180mm/1.75 TPI axle for my Diamondback Mason after the OEM QR Thru-axle failed. Less than half the weight of the stock TA, and really cleans up the aesthetics of the rear triangle. Couldn’t be more pleased. Cheers RAP for bringing thru axles to the masses!
Does the job, looks great on my 2017 Niner Jet 9 RDO. Cleans up the look of the rear triangle and drops ~30grams.
David Lewis (verified owner) –
The fitting process for my non-standard bike was easy; the fitting guide that includes a printable thread guide saved me a lot of trouble. The axle is well-manufactured and easy to install, and using it with a Hexlox lock was also smooth and easy.
Dave Tevendale (verified owner) –
Running a boost wheel in a 142 frame. Works just fine on my hardtail. Not for everyone, but if you do it you’ll need an extra 6 MM of axle length. Get an RAP.
Ted (verified owner) –
After getting frustrated with my QR rear axle coming loose all the time, I gave RAP a try. Incredible product and absolutely perfect fit, this thing stays put! The axle selector function on their website takes the guesswork out of getting it right. Love the look and function of my Lightning bolt on axle.
Thanks Robert Axle Project!
Jonathan Zappala (verified owner) –
This fit my 2016 Trek Stache 5 with a stranglehold adjustable drop out. I love how much better it looks. My old axel with a quick release cam head weight 86g and this one weighed 45g. Torqueing it to 12Nm also is feels satisfying! I bought from them because of reasonable prices and fit guarantees.
Martin Almeda (verified owner) –
Ordered one to replace the rear axle of my GT Sensor 2019, which I happened to round off. Couldn’t find a replacement axle here in the Philippines and the peeps at RAP were awesome enough to ship theirs here! It fit like a glove and seems sturdier than the stock axle without any added weight. Thanks RAP for the save!
adrian rodriguez (verified owner) –
Easy install. Superb craftsmanship. Really, the best. No complains.
Loy Stordahl (verified owner) –
Quality product, fast shipping…saved my biking life : )
Jason Reeves (verified owner) –
Informative website made selecting the right axle straightforward. Checkout process and shipping (to Canada, can be a pain) also smooth and easy. Axle arrived 3 days after ordering. Fit and finish is very good (better than same part from OEM) Glad I ordered from RAP, very impressed all round.
Works great, looks clean, threading action feels really smooth.
Caleb (verified owner) –
I just needed a replacement for my diamondback and this was the only I could find readily available. It arrived quickly and seems to be of excellent quality based on my initial rides. I don’t care about it being low profile (which it is) but it’s easy to adjust with an Allen and I’m pleased!
Guillermo Ramos (verified owner) –
These guys are amazing, i had a trip planned to Spyder Mountain close to Austin Texas and i broke my Axle 3 days before the trip, i was thinking i would have to ride a rental bike but no, the package showed up almost overnight.
The axle is of great quality and it is a perfect fit,i will order a couple of replacement ones for the front and back.
If i can send pizza or beers to the shipping/warehouse department please let me know how to do it.
Thank you guys.
Rodrigo Aviles (verified owner) –
So far so good. Been on a few rides with the new axel and works amazing. Do not have a fear of a rock/Boulder knocking it loose. Awesome new feature to my bike. Accidentally bought two when I only needed one so I guess I have a back up now.
Dave C. (verified owner) –
Awesome product and amazing experience! My son bought a mountain bike on Pinkbike and it arrived missing the axle. I called Robert Axle Project and he walked me through the process, and even texted a customer in Japan that bought the same axle to ensure this would fit my sons bike. Above and beyond! Thanks!
Brandon (verified owner) –
Replaced the stock rear axle on my 2021 Banshee Paradox V3 148 boost frame, axle fit like a glove. Light, solid and the hex key hole is nice and deep so no worries of the wrench slipping out or stripping the hole. The axle I removed had a non-removable washer which the RAP had no washer. I put a dab of grease under the shoulder for a substitute, should be sufficient. Was looking for an axle to replace the front QR on MTB forks, back has gotta match so I got both and am happy with them.