Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Rear 12 mm x 170 mm x 1.75 Thread
You have a beautiful road bike it should have beautiful low-profile thru axles to match. Bulky thru axle handles have no place on your svelte road bike. Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 12 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 170 mm. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 12×142 hub does not equal a 142 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.75 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 41 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Tom (verified owner) –
They’re wonderful! They’re half the wait of my Cervelo C3 axles. Thanks so much!
eliot pitney (verified owner) –
The fit was perfect and it really cleaned up the look to the bike. I will get another set for the CX bike!
Lauris (verified owner) –
Amazing stuff. Saved 60grams from my R5 Disc stock RAT axles (front + rear) with these – nobody else really offers an alternative on the market. Top shelf product + the communication and shipping overseas was super quick as well. Highly recommended.
Tiago (verified owner) –
Top product, purchase with drop-out and was a effortless swap a big difference in looks and weight savings.
I recommend this 100%.
Carlo (verified owner) –
Ordered this for my 2018 Cervelo S3 disc (along with the front axle which I had ordered earlier from another vendor, but I’ll be ordering direct from T.R.A.P. from now on to show my support for their tremendous product and exceptional customer service). I was expecting the 30g weight savings per axle, as well as the aesthetic improvement of no longer having an axle lever protruding from the fork and chain-stay. What I wasn’t expecting that it would fix the rotor rub I had been experiencing in the 4 months I’d owned the Cervelo. Previously, if I put the bike under strong torque forces (like getting up off the saddle to put down some watts to get up an incline, or cornering hard on a high speed descent) the front disc rotor would rub slightly, no matter how well I aligned the pads and rotors.
Once I installed the front T.R.A.P. axle…those annoying rubs were gone. My local bike mechanic’s theory (I asked him why this could have happened) was that the stock TAs were flexing under heavy load, where’s T.R.A.P. TAs were so strong and well made that they didn’t flex as much (or at all?) and thus the rotor no longer rubbed under torque-y conditions.
I was so grateful for the unanticipated benefit that I immediately purchased their TAs for my Giant TCR, and will be doing so again for my new Giant Revolt!
Pete (verified owner) –
The Roberts Axle Lightning bolt on rear axle was a better fit (complete thread engagement) than the axle that came on my Why Cycles R+. The Lightning axle is also better looking and lighter weight!
Ken Z. (verified owner) –
Good product & excellent customer service too. These guys are the real deal…
Philip Rosenberg (verified owner) –
Very nice and these looks a lot better than the original Cervelo-supplied thru-axles. Also – a nice touch – the torque spec is written on the axle. I have under-tightened my rear thru-axle on occasion and the consequences are not good / nice to have the reminder to check on occassion. I would definitely recommend these as an upgrade. NOTE: you will need to carry a multi-tool in the event that you have to remove a wheel on the road, for example, to install an inner tube.