Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Rear 12 mm x 167 mm x 1.75 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 12 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 167 mm. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 12×142 hub does not equal a 142 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.75 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 42 grams.
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Joey C Brown (verified owner) –
Superb quality! I wanted to replace the DT Swiss RWS thru axle on my Trek Emonda SLR Disc and this worked perfectly. Great customer service from the folks at Robert Axle Project. The only place I will turn to for thru axles in the future.
Cam Y. (verified owner) –
My Robert Axle Project Story: My new years resolution for 2018 was to build a 650B gravel bike. I spent months planning, searching for the right components, geometry, etc. My goal: that the first time I sat on the bike, it would feel perfect (no adjustments needed). For some reason, the frame I purchased did not come with axles. I was at a loss trying to find the exact specifications needed, tried DT Swiss, Maxle, Shimano, i9, fox, the list goes on…I was ready to call it quits, to give up and just buy a 105 Slate (a fantastic bike, but not the passion project that I spent so many hours planning) when I stumbled upon The Robert Axle Project. Like clockwork, the site had my exact frame model in its list of choices. Finding the correct axle was so easy, I thought it was too good to be true and that there was bound to be some compatibility issue that I was overlooking. On the contrary: the first time I screwed in my axle, it felt as if the heavens had opened and handed me a warm butter knife and a silk blanket, and I proceeded to cut through multiple sticks of butter while completely engulfed in the finest fabrics on a brisk Fall morning.
So, in short, my review of the Lightning bolt-on axle: EXCELLENT
Jim Luther –
I replaced the stock axles on my 2019 Trek Madone, and couldn’t be happier. They are lighter, more aero, and more secure against wheel theft. I can’t say anything other than they are an excellent, high quality upgrade!
Andrew B (verified owner) –
I picked up a rear axle so I can put a trek Emonda ALR on a smart trainer. Product was delivered quickly and very high quality but unfortunately there was a very small defect in the threads and couldn’t be used. This is where this company shined! I contacted them about the problem and with their first response they were sending a replacement. I also ordered a front axle to have a sleek crit bike! Their axles are lighter than stock and lay flat for nothing can catch them. If you need a replacement axle look no further. They’ll help find something to fit your bike!
Antonio B (verified owner) –
Very good product, well finished an lighter than original DT SWISS on my Trek Emonda 2019. Shipped in few days in Italy. Very satisfied!
Andy (verified owner) –
Purchased a front and rear axle for my 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc road bike and couldn’t be happier. Sizing is perfect and they look great. Much sleeker that the bulky axles that came with the bike originally (DT Swiss) and delivered to Australia directly in less than a week. I noticed that Trek are starting to fit some leverless axles themselves on the 2020 version of the bike but they don’t look or feel anything like as good as the Robert Axle components.
Matthew (verified owner) –
Fits perfectly on my 2020 Madone SLR. I bought this to use on my Cycleops H2 trainer since the OEM thru axle can’t turn due to the profile of the trainer since the OEM thru axle has a lever. Good thing I found this and saved the day! Its so neat and tucks in easily.
Matthew (verified owner) –
Perfect. Nice refresh on 2018 Trek Domane!
Good quality product to be sure, but more importantly the website provides a foolproof way to find and order the specific axle needed. After spending hours trying to locate the correct replacement, and striking out, it was quite a relief to find such an easy method of selecting the correct size, length, OLD and TPI. WELL DONE!
Vladimir (verified owner) –
Quality !!! Recommended…
Scott (verified owner) –
I bought this to replace a lost rear thru axle for 2021 canyon speedmax cf 8 disc. One ride in and this is working just fine. The axle does stick out ~4mm too long, but that is better than being short. Very thankful for being able to get this part in a few days and back on the road!
Bogdan (verified owner) –
I purchased a set of axles for a road bike. So far everything worked out without any issues. No long term feedback yet as in Utah is still winter.
Josh (verified owner) –
Instantly stopped the creaking noise made by the original axles on my bike.