Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Rear 12 mm x 153-158 mm x 1.0 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Compatible with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 12 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 158 mm. We include a 5 mm tapered X-12 spacer for a 153 mm axle fitment. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 12×148 hub does not equal a 148 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.0 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 40 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Compatible with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
John Watkins (verified owner) –
Hi, I recently ordered a pair of your Lightning Bolt-On Axles for my Specialized Diverge and was very pleased at how soon they arrived at my delivery address in the UK. The axles are now on the bike and are a huge visual improvement on the nasty looking stock axles. With a small amount of copper assembly grease they torqued straight up to 12 Nm without any binding.
Great product and a fantastically prompt service, thanks to everyone involved. USPS must get a mention here too.
Kind Regards – John
John Watkins (verified owner) –
This is a quick follow-up to the email I sent to The Robert Axle Project and which appears above. If you want a nice, clean appearance without unsightly, easily damaged, potentially unreliable handles, not to mention the dead weight (the handles on my former axles have been replaced by a hex bit that fits into a tyre lever which doubles as a wrench), then these are the axles you want!
No moving parts, unlike some over-complicated solutions I’ve seen, just solidly-engineered simplicity. Tidy!
Gary (verified owner) –
This axle fit perfectly in my Canyon Endurace CF SLX
Tobias (verified owner) –
For my Canyon Ultimate CF SL this is the right axle. I like the high quality, the clean look (no lever anymore) and, of course, the really nice weight of only ~35 g.
Roger Murer (verified owner) –
Great replacement Axle for my Specialized Sequoia 2018. The stock Axles with 5mm hex wore out. I guess the 6mm hex will hold out much longer and even the torque is specified on the Axles.
Shipment to Switzerland was fast, would buy any time again.
Johnny (verified owner) –
Fits perfectly and looks wonderful on my 2020 Canyon Grail AL 2.0. High quality and looks so sleek.
David B (verified owner) –
Crashed my new Canyon Ultimate Evo and needed a new rear axle. Unbelievably Canyon could not provide a replacement to purchase and referred me to an axle that was not the correct type and would not work. All of my research gave me only 2 options for a replacement rear axle for my bike. This one from Robert Axle, or one that would ship from China on eBay.
Sent a message to see if it was in stock and they said yes. Shipped the same day and received a couple days later. Worked perfectly. In short, they saved my butt when no other options were available so I am very grateful they are here.
Quality was great and I may order another just to have as a backup, and maybe one for the front as well. The only thing that I would have liked to see was for it to come with a washer. Maybe they are not needed, but I used my old one anyway.
Dave (verified owner) –
Absolutely perfect! After buying a 2016 crux, I learned all about the awful “standard” specialized tried to create with these models and finding a replacement axle was very confusing and annoying. Fortunately, I found the Robert Axle Project and they gave me exactly what I needed and shipped it very fast. High quality part with the perfect sizing and a clean install.
Will certainly buy more if the time comes but that shouldn’t be for quite a while given the quality.
David Courtenay (verified owner) –
I purchased a Saris H3 to use in the winter with my Canyon Endurace but the thru axle ‘handle’ hits the H3 body when trying to tighten it, I purchased the thru axle from Robert axle project and it makes life so much easier, Quality is great, I will keep it on the bike when not on the trainer and will be getting one for the from wheel
Jeffrey McCaslin (verified owner) –
Fits perfectly and looks wonderful on my 2022 OPEN WI.DE gravel bike. High quality and looks so frickin’ amazing! Great assistance with my order from the technician, also. I will be replacing my front axle soon.