Lightning Bolt-On Axle for NAILD Bikes – 12×148
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axle replacement for NAILD axles are a high quality, lower profile, simpler alternative.
- Includes a threaded M12x1.0 replacement nut, to replace the NAILD nut that came on your bike.
- This axle is designed for some Marin and Polygon mountain bikes with 12×148 spaced hubs and the NAILD thru axle system.
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle, we needed a better option. Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Be free. No longer are you constrained by the proprietary NAILD axle. Simply replace the NAILD nut with our threaded nut and thru axle. A complete solution for a standard threaded axle for your bike.
- Lightning is Better. Our Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- This axle is designed specifically to replace the NAILD axle system found on some Marin and Polygon bikes with 12×148 hub spacing.
- The axle includes our threaded replacement nut for the NAILD system.
- Weight: TBD
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security system.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Lars Holmstrom –
The Naild system tried to solve a problem I don’t have (quick removal of rear wheel) at the cost of complexity. After my Naild system suffered a malfunction in the middle of a bikepacking trip and almost cut it short, I knew I wanted a better (simpler) solution. This axle installed in minutes, and provides me with the confidence I should have in a through axle setup. It also weighs less and looks much cleaner. Highly recommended to any people currently using the Naild system.
Peter Theokritoff (verified owner) –
The Naild system looks great and is good as a quick release. This is not of much use on a bike-packing set up where reliability is paramount. The Naild axle just doesn’t look or feel sufficiently robust.
Very satisfied with the new thru axle.
Sam Mandel (verified owner) –
So glad this exists. The Naild QR axle was a real buzzkill on an otherwise solid bike (Marin Pine Mountain 2). This looks to be an “install and forget” solution, which is what an axle should be.
Gary Campbell (verified owner) –
Naild axle self destructed on a xquareone after about 10 rides, ordered on of these and had it arrive in just over a week (from states to NZ) super easy install and now my bike has an axle that I am not paranoid is going to self destruct out in the backblocks somewhere whilst on a mission!
Does what an axle does without and over complication! Cheers guys!
Stuart Simmons (verified owner) –
Awesome product, east to fit, and now I don’t have to worry about the rear axle failing again!!
Arrived within the week to(to NZ) if you have a Polygon or Marin with the qr axle, change it for one of these!!
Mike (verified owner) –
The Naild system is way too complicated and didn’t work for me. The rear wheel was always loose. This axle was very easy to install and works great. Thank you!
Felipe Farias (verified owner) –
I did not have a good experience with quick release axle that came with Polygon Xquarone. I trusted in Robert Axle Project, ordered the new thru-axle and received it in Chile Southamerica just one week after.
Very easy to install and looks&few more robust. Ready to ride in Los Andes trails…
Liam Fielding (verified owner) –
Great quality part and service
peter (verified owner) –
I found out my Naild axle was getting loose in the middle of a bikepacking trip. Thankfully it didn’t end the trip, but when I opened it up I saw the whole system would need to be replaced. I didn’t want to replace it with the Naild system that had already failed me. I ordered this replacement on a Friday, and received it Monday morning in Germany, quicker than it took Naild to answer there email 😅
Hamish McBeth (verified owner) –
Same problems as everyone seems to have with the Naild system one my squareone. This back to basics new axle was fitted in no time – the perfect solution.
Carlos de la Fuente (verified owner) –
Just replaced my Naild locking system, which was giving me troubles for a while. Even the mechanics at the local bike shop had troubles with it locking my back wheel. They recommended to replace it with the LIGHTNING BOLT-ON AXLE system. Ordered the part on a Monday, and received on Tuesday at 2 pm here in Toronto, Canada. AMAZING. Installed it and works beautiful. Great service all around.
James Ooi –
Replaced the nalid on my polygon xquarone ex9. great product! Gotten all the nalid problems sorted.
James Ooi –
Replaced the nalid on my polygon xquarone ex9. great product! Gotten all the nalid problems sorted. Never looked back.