Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Front 15 mm x 198 mm x 1.5 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle, we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems. This front thru axle fits RockShox forks with 15 x 150 hub spacing.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- This thru axle fits RockShox forks with 15 x 100 hub spacing.
- The diameter of this axle is 15 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 148 mm. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 15×100 hub does not equal a 100 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.5 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 42 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6 mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Mike (verified owner) –
I purchased 2 sets of thru-axles from The Robert Axle Project. One set was for a cross bike and the other for a fat bike. Thus far both have performed flawlessly. Especially noticable is the weight difference and stiffness vs the stock axles. Thanks guys for a great product.
Simon Létourneau (verified owner) –
Got 2 axles for my Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50. Lighter stiffer and much neater then the original axles! I would often knock my ankle on the rear axle when pushing the bike over deep snow, not anymore. Very fast delivery too highly recommaded.
Dominic Libby (verified owner) –
Replaced my Trek Farleys fork axle with this. Trek has some of the better QR thru-axles but they aren’t better than these. Strong low profile axle is just the ticket to give me peace of mind when I’m away from my bikes and they are locked to the rack. QR’s just make it easier for theft. I carry a mini tool so I decided it’s not much of a problem if I need to pull the wheel. I have one on my Stache and Stumpjumper also.
Alain Hoffmann (verified owner) –
Got a set of F&R axles for a Haibike Fatsix. They simply do bolt on in place of standard axle, no problem whatsoever. BUT the rear axle was for a trailer, specifically a Berger coupling (as specified in the order). This one needs a notch under the coupling to take up rotation force when load works behind. This notch was not present and I had to take off quite some material which was a tedious task with a small grinder and surely voids any warranty. Sorry boys but you should look into this.
Damien (verified owner) –
Bought a set of axle for my fatbike after the stock quick-release wouldn’t hold in place. High-quality, looks amazing. Also super fast shipping to EU / Norway!
BigSteve (verified owner) –
I bought a set of axles for a used fat bike (2016 Farley 7) that I just acquired. The OEM front axle was corroded in place and I had to cut the wheel out (and replace the front hub). I wanted a simple and lightweight replacement. These fit the bill. The price was reasonable, shipping was fast and the online configurator made it easy to get the correct axles. Very pleased.