Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Rear 12 mm x 175 or 183 mm x 1.0 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Compatible with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 12 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 183 mm. We include a tapered X-12 spacer for 175 mm axle length fitment. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 12×148 hub does not equal a 148 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.0 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 46 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Compatible with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Fedor Kolyushenko (verified owner) –
I rarely write the reviews so this case is one of the exceptions 🙂
My wife and I got Merida Big.Trail 2021 hardtails, nice bikes, with a wide field to upgrade. Therefore, after we could afford new DT Swiss wheelsets, I was looking for great axles – strong, lightweight and with some kind of security feature – to protect the investment in the wheels.
Everyone who was trying to find the new matching axle for the bike, especially the rear axle, knows that’s a nightmare: different shaft lengths, different threads pitch, different threads lengths and different shapes of the head of the axles.
The Robert Axle Project itself and their Axle Finder tool – is the perfect solution for this kind of troubles.
So I bought the new axles (LIG626 for rear and LIG504 for front) for our bikes – mine ones with the Hexlox security feature and the axles for my lovely dear – without Hexlox (she never leaves the bike unattended, but will lose the hexlox key easily).
The axles are perfect: they are wery well made (even the screwing in is easyer then the stock axles), they are lightweight and they are look very durable.
I should mention that the description and the photo at the LIG626 axle page is slightly incorrect: the LIG626 axle comes NOT only with the tapered X-12 spacer, but ALSO with 3 mm thick flat spacer. It’s very important, cause the original Merida Big.Trail 2021 rear axle has 178,5 mm shaft length and the axle head shape is flat, not tapered. So don’t worry – when you are installing LIG626 rear axle (shaft length 183 mm) and using the included flat 3 mm spacer, you got 180 mm axle with a flat head (1,5 mm longer than the original axle, but the length difference is less than 2 mm is not a compatibility issue).
Couple of words about the hexlox – as you can find some videos at youtube it can be hacked. However, it will took more time, skills and tools than simply unscrew your axles with the Allen key.
Last but not least – the very friendly and responsive customer support leave the sense that you’re talking with the buddies.
Thank you guys! Easy ride!
Chris C (verified owner) –
Great axles. Used them for multiple customers. A go to when axles don’t come with wheelsets
Larry Webster –
Fits perfectly and looks great! Customer service was amazing and helped get me the correct one.
Robert Moore (verified owner) –
I ordered the axle as I wanted a bolt through one for my Knolly Fugitive. The Robert Axle Project is the only supplier who makes one compatible with the bike. I am very happy with the purchase. The axle is well made, light and fits the bike perfectly. The fast shipping was a bonus.
Marshall Eames (verified owner) –
Great product! Quick shipping!
Joey H. (verified owner) –
Needed a new axle for a 2023 Marin Riftzone and this was the perfect fit. The included cone washer was vital and even the black n white logo matched my build. Thanks big time!!