Lightning Bolt-On Axle for NAILD Bikes – 12×142
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axle replacement for NAILD axles are a high quality, lower profile, simpler alternative.
- Includes a threaded M12x1.0 replacement nut, to replace the NAILD nut that came on your bike.
- This axle is designed for Argon18 and Marin bikes with 12×142 hubs and NAILD thru axles.
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle, we needed a better option. Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Compatible with Hexlox security systems.
- Be free. No longer are you constrained by the proprietary NAILD axle. Simply replace the NAILD nut with our threaded nut and thru axle. A complete solution for a standard threaded axle for your bike.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Compatible with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- This axle is designed specifically to replace the NAILD axle system found on some Marin and Polygon bikes with 12×142 hub spacing.
- The axle includes our threaded replacement nut for the NAILD system.
- Axle Weight: 42 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Compatible with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Charlie Weiss (verified owner) –
TRAP !! (The Robert Axle Project) has nailed it. The Naild axle that came with my bike was one day suddenly unable to connect — and contacting their product support brought me a PDF that did not explain how to set the receiving end so their axle could properly engage. I counted 22 separate parts in the Naild axle.
In the TRAP axle there are just 2 = fewer points of failure. Love the elegant simplicity.
AND to protect the $2200 carbon wheels supported by these axles, TRAP offers brilliant locks (Hexlox), which in the simplest way prevent undoing the axles (and wheel theft). So I’m now comfortable locking my bike without locking the wheels too. That’s a breakthrough in usability for my entire bike experience. So, a heartfelt thanks to the TRAP folks for designing a far better thru-axle for my gravel machine.
John B. (verified owner) –
Quality product with perfect fit to replace your Naild axle. A bit expensive but worth it. Shipping to Canada was extremely quick and affordable.
The Naild axle was a nice idea but too complex and not durable enough therefore not dependable.
Would be nice if they included a hex key.
Michael W. (verified owner) –
I have an Argon 18 Gallium Pro Disc and was very sad about the NAILD axles.
The axle from TRAP is a perfect replacement. It fits perfectly into my bike, no hassle with setting or size. I recommend to use it instead of the NAILD parts.
Geoff B. (verified owner) –
I have an Argon 19 Gallium Pro Disc that came with Naild thru axles. They worked OK for a while but the rear axle in particular has become temperamental, sometimes not releasing and other times not engaging. Have now replaced both front and back with new Robert Axle Project Lightning Bolt On axles, even though the front Naild axle was still working OK — you never know when it is going to quit. Very happy with the new TRAP axles, and they got to me (in France) v quickly after my order. Had to pay 10 euros in duties over and above the purchase price, but worth it to have renewed confidence in this key component on my bike.
Might be good to provide a video walking through the process of removing Naild axles and replacing them with the TRAPs.
M O’D (verified owner) –
Bought front and rear Bolt ons for my Marin Gestalt, work fantastic, no complaints whatsoever!
szymon (verified owner) –
Good quality, very fast delivery to Europe. I love it. Bike loves it!