Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Front for FOCUS R.A.T. Bikes
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle we needed a better option. Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Compatible with Hexlox security systems.
This FRONT thru axle is compatible with bikes that have the 12mm FOCUS R.A.T. thru axle system.
- Be free. No longer are you constrained by the proprietary FOCUS R.A.T. axle. Simply replace the R.A.T. nut with our threaded nut and thru axle. A complete solution for a standard threaded axle for your R.A.T. equipped bike.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Compatible with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- This axle is compatible with bikes that have a FOUCS R.A.T. thru axle in the front fork with 12×100 front hubs.
- Weight: 39 grams, includes axle and our replacement for the RAT nut.
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6 mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Compatible with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
19 reviews for Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Front for FOCUS R.A.T. Bikes
You may also like…
12mm Thru Axle for Resistance Trainer and FOCUS R.A.T. Bikes – 12X142$ 64.00 Add to cart
Lightning Bolt-on Axle – 12mm thru axle for FOCUS R.A.T. Bikes – 12×142$ 58.00 Add to cart
12mm Thru Axle for Kid Trailer: FOCUS R.A.T. Bikes – 12×142$ 68.00 Add to cart
Hexlox – Bike protection done right.$ 15.00 – $ 20.00 Select options
Jason Brummels (verified owner) –
The perfect solution to the “perfect” solution from Focus! High quality, easy to use, and great fit. Thank you!
AK (verified owner) –
Could not have been any easier to install (Focus Izalco Max Disc). Great, precise construction too. The instructions were a little bit outdated but I didn’t really need them. An must-buy if you’re using Focus R.A.T. axles.
Yao (verified owner) –
Super nice design. So love it.
kim butler (verified owner) –
Checked on these last year. Finally bought front. Thought it would just work better. RAT are always a bit tricky to get correct tightness etc. Put on front. Fit seemed much more precise than RAT Have had issues with Sram disc brakes in getting them to have no brake rub. Put on new front axle. Nice surprise. Now fit is more precise and no brake rub in front. I ordered rear one after this. Thanks for a well made product.
Kim Butler Wheeling, WV
Sandor Szabolcsi (verified owner) –
Bought to replace my rat axles on my focus paralane and glad I did was having problems getting correct torque and had rear axle problems would not tighten. Now no guess work Robert axles fit perfect! Quality is wonderful and half the weight and much easier and safer than rat system just torque to 12 Nm IMO. Thank you Robertaxleproject.com for saving my butt!
Chris Campbell (verified owner) –
I have a Focus Mares set up with two sets of wheels to be my perfect do-it-all machine. I was struggling with finicky brake alignment issues any time I swapped out wheels, and was also experiencing brake rub issues if I didn’t get the quick releases tight enough. I finally figured out that at least some of my problem was related to the R.A.T. axle quick releases. I ordered the Robert Axle replacements and I couldn’t be happier.
The axles are very high quality and a perfect replacement for the R.A.T. axles. They were simple to install, and wheel changes are easier now. Just thread them in and torque them down and you’re ready to roll.
Anders (verified owner) –
Very good and easy installation on my Focus Izalco Max Disc. Works like a treat and the axle is very well made.
Haven’t tested it outside yet but I’m sure it’s better than the RAT axle which made my front disc rub.
Christian Kleine (verified owner) –
fits perfect, easy and fast to install.
Andrew C Ralph (verified owner) –
Happy with these as a replacement for my R.A.T. axles on my Focus bike
Glen (verified owner) –
First connected with the Robert Axle Project so I could get my Focus Mares with R.A.T. on to a wheel on indoor trainer. Boom! Problem solved. So good, I keep the rear Robert Axle Project replacement on the bike. I recently connected to replace the front RAT axle and Boom! Problem solved again! I’ve never found the RAT axles particularly rapid and for me they were always a hassle. The Robert Axle Project RAT replacements work exactly like a thru axle should. Spin it on, torque to spec, go ride! Thanks folks!
Jon Sykes (verified owner) –
Bought to replace my front axle on my Focus Mares CX after stripping the threads. Super easy to install and works great! I’ll be back when the same happens to the rear at some point.
Jon Sykes (verified owner) –
Bought this to replace my front RAT axle on my Focus Mares CX after stripping the threads. Super easy to install and works great! I’ll be back when the same happens to the rear at some point.
Darrell Nye –
Fit perfectly!! So much better the the R. A. T. System. Great price, Great product!! Highly recommend if you have a Focus bike with the R. A. T. System.
Rajiv (verified owner) –
Excellent product. Fits my focus Izalgo max perfectly.
Dan Lamb –
Superb. Everything in the other reviews is correct. I found the RAT axles fiddly, so bought these for my Focus Izalco Max Disc. They were simple to fit and got rid of my Dura Ace disc rub issue and creak when climbing in the small chainring (neither of which I had attributed to the RAT axles).
In addition to this, each axle was 20g lighter than the RATs.
They have made a great bike even better!
Martijn van Egmond (verified owner) –
This product really helped getting rid of the R.A.T. axle frustration. And for what it’s worth the overseas delivery was very fast (faster than ordering R.A.T. axle from the local Focus dealer) I should have bought rear and front at the same time.
German Ayala (verified owner) –
Extremely reliable. Nice replacement for my Focus Paralane RAT axles.
Carlo (verified owner) –
Dan (verified owner) –
I’d been putting off getting these for my Izalco Max due to fears about delivery and duties to the UK. More fool me. Arrived in a few days, no extras to pay, took seconds to install and freed me from the pain of cruddy, unreliable RAT axles. Just buy them.