Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Front 15 mm x 138mm x 1.5 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle, we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles or create wind drag. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 15 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 138 mm. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 15×100 hub does not equal a 100 mm long axle.
- This axle has a M14 x 1.5 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 46 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Mike V. (verified owner) –
Got a Lighting Bolt for the front wheel on my Trek Boone (15 mm x 138mm x 1.5 Thread) to replace the existing quick release. The Lighting Bolt is a perfect fit and half the weight. Very pleased with the quality of the product.
P.M. IJsselstein (verified owner) –
Fits like a glove on my trek 920, plus i can fit my ortlieb panniers better without the quick release in the way. Also very pleased with the superfast 4 day delivery to the Netherlands!
Dominic (verified owner) –
Perfect fit for my trek Boone 5 2017 61 cm. I accidentally left my thru-axle on top of my car when I harnessed my bike to my roof rack!🤣 When I drove off into the freeway I saw something roll away from my rearview window lol. I went to 7 local bike shops and they didn’t have anything close to what I needed. Found this website and what do you know! Shipping was within 3days of purchase as well! Great company! Save the stress of finding your thru-axle and just go with these guys!
hal (verified owner) –
perfect fit for my trek 920. fast shipping, absolutely no issues.
Jason Reinhardt –
I had a friend who bought a bike from his friend’s recently widowed wife. The front axle on this Trek Boone could not be found and he did not want to bother her further.
Of course Trek was out of stock for the foreseeable future, leaving him wondering if his good deed had been in vain.
I then discovered the Robert Axle Project, and low and behold the bike is whole again!
It was super simple to find what we needed, and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much.
John D (verified owner) –
Precise, strong, better than stock replacement. Great axle finding software—clears up all of the confusion!