Surly 12 X 197 Thru-Axle for Kid Trailer
This axle is specific for Surly bikes with the MDS axle system and 12×197 hub spacing.
Robert Axles for Kid Trailers are designed specifically to fit your 12mm thru-axle bike and allow attachment of any hitch-mounted trailer. These fit any trailer that has two wheels and a single point of attachment to the axle. This includes all the two-wheeled child, pet and cargo trailers such as: Thule, Chariot, Burley, Instep, Carry Freedom, and many more.
Purchase our Kid Trailer axle for your bike. Share your stoke for cycling with your kids. Simplify your life by allowing quick and secure attachment of your trailer to your best and favorite bike. Enjoy the adventure.
This axle is compatible with Surly bikes that have the MDS or Gnot Boost axle system and 12×197 hub spacing.
Since 2013, we have been an important part of cyclists’ adventures all over the world. Our axles have millions of miles on them in mountain bikes and road bikes, carbon bikes, fat bikes and e-bikes. Our axles are specifically designed to handle the high-torque loads generated by e-bikes.
Your stock thru-axle is not strong enough to haul your precious cargo! Our axles are 3 to 4 times stronger than the stock axle that came with your bike. Our stainless steel axle ends provide a safe and secure attachment point of the hitch to the axle. The axle is quick to install and remove with a common 5mm hex key.
Our axles are not just designed in the USA, but are made here as well. They are machined by avid cyclists to the tightest standards in the industry. We safety test, to failure, every batch of axles we produce to ensure they exceed your expectations.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
Robert Axle for Surly MDS bikes replaces your stock axle to attach your child trailer to your 12×197 mm thru-axle equipped bike.
- This axle is specifically designed to fit the Surly Ice Cream Truck.
- The derailleur end of our axle is internally threaded and will use the bolt from your stock Surly axle. The disc brake side of our axle has an engineered mount for your trailer hitch. That mount has been permanently attached to the axle.
- This axle is compatible with Burley, Carry Freedom, Chariot/Thule, Croozer, Instep, and many more.
- The axle shaft and axle end are precision CNC machined. The axle shaft is 7075 aluminum and hard black anodized for rugged durability.
- The axle end is stainless steel, which allow for mounting of the hitch provided with your trailer. The threads are M10x1 (metric).
- Hardware for attachment of the hitch is included; the hitch is not.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 5mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Jeremy (verified owner) –
Plans changed, and I needed to attach a Chariot kid trailer to my Ice Cream Truck at the 11th hour before a trip. I placed my order thinking it was 50/50 whether I’d receive the axle in time. 44 minutes later I received a shipping confirmation and tracking number!!! The axle arrived with time to spare, and installation was a piece of cake. Over the course of a week, I logged around 80 miles towing two children up an down some steep terrain. The hitch cup did not move one bit, nor did the axle loosen up or require my attention in any way. I’ve been aware of the Robert Axle Project for a long time, and I’ll admit that I was reluctant to buy because of the price. When I found myself in a pickle and in need of a rapid solution, the RA team absolutely came through for me with both a great product and incredible service!