Lightning Bolt-on Axle – Rear 12 mm x 229 mm x 1.5 Thread
After years of mountain biking with thru-axles with bulky handles that seemed to strike every trailside obstacle (including ourselves) we needed a better option.
Our Lightning Bolt-On thru axles offer the highest quality, simple, lightweight alternative to that bulky handle. Available in a range of sizes that fit both front and rear wheels on all types of thru-axle equipped bikes. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
- Lightning is Better. Our front and rear Lightning Bolt-On axles offer a stronger, more durable, lower profile and lighter weight option to replace your stock thru-axles.
- Low Profile. No more bulky handles to strike trail obstacles. Aerodynamic design.
- Light Weight. Our axles are internally bored to remove unnecessary material without compromising strength.
- Easy to install. Our matching front and rear Lightning Bolt-On Axles only require a standard 6 mm hex wrench for easy installation and removal.
- Better Tolerances. Manufactured in the USA to the tightest tolerances using aerospace materials and CNC manufacturing. No longer will your axle loosen while riding.
- Available Security. Learn about compatibility with Hexlox bike security systems.
This is NOT an axle for attaching trailers or trainers.
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including nickel acetate, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- The diameter of this axle is 12 mm and the true length of the axle shaft is 229 mm. Please note: Thru-axle lengths do not equal hub standards. An axle has to be longer than the hub to fit in the frame. A 12×197 hub does not equal a 197 mm long axle.
- This axle has a 1.5 mm thread pitch.
- Weight: 50 grams
- The axle is precision CNC machined in the USA from 7075 aluminum and hard anodized for rugged durability. Our axles are built to the tightest standards in the industry.
- No special tools required. Design allows for installation or wheel removal using your standard 6mm hex wrench.
- Designed, built and quality tested in the USA. Proven around the world.
- Learn about compatibility with Hexlox security systems.
Need more information about how our axles work?
- Review our instructions.
- Watch our how-to videos.
- Visit our FAQs page.
- View our Warranty & Returns page.
Lance Andre (verified owner) –
Works great on my Borialis fatbike rear wheel (with the supplied adapter washer). Much lighter and better built than the factory QR thru Axel.
Hugh Jazz (verified owner) –
Worked perfectly on my fat bike and looks great too. Used to replace stock thru axel with QR lever. So much better.
Max Imbert (verified owner) –
Great thru axle. Replace my broken one which had a lever, this one is much more solid and much lighter with a sleek look. They got it to me overnight to Canada during covid, amazing!
Aaron Wimbush (verified owner) –
Perfect fit on my Borealis Crestone. High quality machine work, super fast shipping. Buy it, you need it on your fat bike.
Erik Thomsen –
After having my original thru axle seize I started looking for a better replacement. I emailed support and was promptly given great advice and proceeded to order a replacement with appropriate spacer. I couldn’t be happier with the build quality and fit.
Clyde (verified owner) –
Great quality, perfect fit…lite, and strong….looks great too. Added bonus was the super fast shipping to Canada.
Dan (verified owner) –
Just what I needed for my 2022 Borealis Crestone. Perfect fit, does not come loose like the stock quick release axle.